Sunday, January 01, 2006

From today's evening prayers...

For Those Who Suffer for the Sake of Conscience

O God our Father, whose Son forgave his enemies while he was suffering shame and death: Strengthen those who suffer for the sake of conscience; when they are accused, save them from speaking in hate; when they are rejected, save them from bitterness; when they are imprisoned, save them from despair; and to us your servants, give grace to respect their witness and to discern the truth, that our society may be cleansed and strengthened. This we ask for the sake of Jesus Christ, our merciful and righteous Judge. Amen.


This really spoke to me tonight--maybe because I am an unashamed bleeding heart gay-friendly former social worker liberal librarian living in the heart of redneckia. It seems like so many of my fellow progressives often fall prey to hatefulness, bitterness, and despair. Answering hate with hate isn't the solution, the last time I checked. But I too have fallen prey to that same sort of binary thinking that plenty on both sides struggle with. I (and we all) should try to remember that the goal is a healthier and more peaceful world--not just to be proven "right".

It's just hard to remember that sometimes. Guess I have something else to work on. :-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Yes, learning to "see" injustice without succumbing to bitterness is one of my spiritual issues, too.

1/02/2006 7:10 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Same here! I beat myself up over it, but will I stop my private rants?

1/03/2006 7:14 AM  
Blogger Reverend Ya said...

Your prayer helped me in more ways than one. Take a look at my blog and it will tell you more. Thank you for your prayer on your blog reminding me of God's love and care.

1/08/2006 10:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah Clark said...

Glad you found it helpful--but it's not mine--got it from the daily office site referenced in my links list...

1/09/2006 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home