Wednesday, November 16, 2005

11/16: Psalms 9-11

Psalms. I'm not a poet by nature, but I like psalms. always have. 9 and 10 are two different psalms, but the footnotes in my bible suggest they may have once been the same piece, and they flow so well together in theme and construction I can buy that. So, I'm going to cover them in one go.

9-10 express faith that God will not let the wicked prosper, but will deliver the psalmist from his enemies. While the words are appropriately petitionary, I noted a tone of...reminder, if you will, that the wicked were currently prospering, but that the psalmist was, of course, quite sure that God would not allow this to continue.

11 is in a similar vein, praising YHWH's love of justice and expressing confidence that justice will be done to all. (especially Israel's enemies...)

I sometimes feel like I'm just scratching the surface of the psalms--I look forward to concluding this 1 year re-acquaintence to the canon and taking up the lectionary reading schedule, when I can go through things at a more leisurely pace and spend more time meditating on the psalms and finding deeper levels of meaning.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hi Sarah,

Just found your blog--always nice to find another Episcopalian in the blogosphere. (In fact, you could join the blogging episcopalians ring if you so desire). I enjoyed what you've posted so far and look forward to more.

11/16/2005 5:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah Clark said...

Emily,

thanks for your kind words! It's nice to meet another Oklahoman around here (I live in Tulsa). That webring looks very interesting, and I will definitely join as soon as I get a chance.

Sarah

11/17/2005 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home